Wednesday, December 30, 2009
1. I Don't Care Who You Are U Tube
2. Speak the Hungarian Rapper
3. Eli Porter the #1 Freestyle Battle Emcee
4. Bangs - My Life is Hard
5. Boostalk - We Gon Rock
6. Denny Blazin Hazen
7. It's So Cold in the D
Monday, December 7, 2009
1. Romance from Ralph Lauren – Who needs real flowers when you're wearing the sexy, sultry scents of fresh rose, ginger, marigold, violet, oakmoss and musk.
2. Pink Sugar by Aquolina – Satisfy his sweet tooth with Pink Sugar featuring notes of cotton candy, caramel, raspberry, bergamot, licorice, powder, fig leaves, orange, strawberry, and wood.
3. Jessica Simpson Fancy – Tickle his fancy with the sweet scents of amber crystals, apricot nectar, pear, gardenia, jasmine, caramel, vanilla creme, sandalwood, red fruits and toasted almonds.
4. Lacoste Touch Of Pink - Be oh-so-pretty in pink. A sexy blend of coriander leaf, blood orange, cardamom, musks, jasmine, carrot seed, violet leaf, touch of vanilla and sandalwood.
5. Burberry THE BEAT – His heart will skip a beat when he smells this beautiful wood floral scent with bergamot, cardamom, pink pepper, mandarin, Ceylon tea, iris, white musk, vetiver, and cedar.
6. D&G Light Blue – Color your night wild with D & G Light Blue and its notes of rose, apple, musk and jasmine.
7. Issey Miyake L’Eau D’Issey – A seductively simple, feminine fresh water floral scent.
8. Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani – Create a sexy air of mystery with this unexpected Eau De Parfum spray.
9. Chanel Chanel #5 – A classic scent by CoCo Chanel that continues to induce attraction with its sparkling floral fragrance notes.
10. Calvin Klein Obsession – The name says it all. Musk and spice and everything nice.
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
1. Fred Flintstone – Fred Flintstone is the blue-collared brontosaurus-crane operator from Bedrock who coined the catchphrase “Yabba-Dabba-Doo!” The loud-mouthed and aggressive Flintstone spends most of his time and efforts scheming up ways to improve the working class lot of his family, which consists of his wife Wilma and daughter Pebbles. Despite his appearance, Fred Flintstone is a highly skilled athlete who excels in sporting events such as bowling, golfing, football and pool. He even went to the extent of taking ballet lessons to improve his bowling skills where he adopted the nickname “Twinkletoes”, a name that stuck with him throughout his college football years.
2. George Jetson – 38-year-old George Jetson lives with wife Jane, teenage daughter Judy and 7-year-old Elroy in the fictional and futuristic Orbit City, where all of the buildings are set on giant poles, much like the Space Needle in Seattle, Washington. Formerly the star pitcher for the Orbit High School Spaceball team, Jetson is a digital index operator who works at Spacely’s Space Sprockets, a manufacturer of “sprockets” and other high tech equipment. Jetson often complains about his heavy workload, which requires him to push a single button on a computer for one hour, one day a week, and frequently loses his job at the whim of his short-tempered boss, Cosmo G. Spacely. Despite losing his job repeatedly, Jetson always regains his position by the end of the episode once Spacely has cooled off and come to his senses.
3. Papa Smurf – After Grandpa and Nanny Smurf, Papa Smurf is the third oldest of the Smurfs, and has lived for an unprecedented 542 years. It is easy to recognize the gentle, wise and knowledgeable Papa Smurf, who stands out from the remainder of the 100-year-old Smurfs complements of his red attire and bushy white beard, which was once brown during his younger years. Serving as the leader and paternal figure of the Smurfs, the naturally altruistic Papa Smurf is always looking to lend a helping hand, and is constantly concerned with the harmony and well-being of the Smurf community. In his leisure time, Papa Smurf enjoys experimenting with magical chemistry, or alchemy, and his greatest hobby is creating elixirs that he uses to help fellow Smurfs who have gotten themselves into trouble.
4. Yogi Bear – In 1958, Yogi Bear made his television debut as a supporting character to Huck in The Huckleberry Hound Show. Three years later, in 1961, Hanna-Barbera Productions gave Yogi his own self-titled show, The Yogi Bear Show, which eventually became more popular than The Huckleberry Hound Show. Yogi was the first break-out character ever created by Hanna-Barbera Studios, but more significantly, he was one of the first of several characters created with a collar. The collar allowed his body to remain static so that only his head would need to be drawn in each frame while speaking, drastically reducing the number of drawings needed to create the cartoon. In fact, artists could now create a seven-minute cartoon, which usually requires 14,000 drawings, using only 2,000.
5. Scoobert “Scooby” Doo – Best friend and pet of Norville “Shaggy” Rogers, Scooby-Doo is the unique, seven-year-old (or forty-nine in dog years) Great Dane who gets scared just as easily as his master. Despite being terrified of what is lurking around the corner, close friends Velma, Daphne and Fred encourage Scooby to go after dangerous villains with enticing and irresistible “Scooby Snacks.” Unlike the other dogs in his reality, Scooby is able to speak, but only in broken English where he tends to pronounce words as if they started with an “R”. Scooby reveals this error in pronunciation at the end of the episode when he howls out his catch phrase, “Scooby-Dooby-Doo!” only it tends to sound more like “Rooby-Rooby-Roo!”
6. Huckleberry Hound – Despite having a name that is synonymous with being “average”, Huckleberry Hound is the blue dog who always seems to come out on top. Either through his slow and persistent style of tackling assignments, or just out of sheer luck, “Huck” has the remarkable ability to successfully complete his jobs, even in the face of backfiring results. Huckleberry Hound has taken on roles in numerous fields, including serving as a police officer and working as a dogcatcher, where he never fails to accomplish his goals with a relaxed, sweet and well-intentioned approach.
7. Tom Cat – Thomas “Tom” Cat is the blue and grey anthropomorphic cat who makes up 50% of the academy-award winning cat-and-mouse duo known to the world as Tom & Jerry. Since his first appearance in the 1940 animated short Puss Gets the Boot, Tom Cat has chased and competed with Jerry Mouse episode after episode, but rarely sets out to eat him despite the natural laws that define the food chain among the creatures of the animal kingdom. Tom spends most of his time setting traps for Jerry, but many of them backfire and end up hurting him rather than Jerry. It is worthy to note that Tom, who started out as a cat with normal feline intelligence, has changed dramatically over the years. Since his debut, Tom Cat has become almost completely bipedal, branching off from his quadrupedal nature to adopt an almost-human level of intelligence.
8. Jerry Mouse – Gerald “Jerry” Mouse makes up the other half of the dynamic duo, Tom & Jerry. The brown anthropomorphic mouse also made his first appearance in Puss Gets the Boot, where audiences knew him as simply, “the Mouse”. It was not until his next appearance in The Midnight Snack where he adopted the name Jerry. Jerry Mouse has walked on two legs since his debut, and made his last appearance in The Karate Guard, a 2005 Tom and Jerry cartoon produced and directed by Joseph Barbera before his death. The Karate Guard short remains the last theatrical cartoon to feature the famous cat-and-mouse duo.
Monday, October 12, 2009
Thursday, September 24, 2009
1. JM Fonseca Twin Vines - JM Fonseca Twin Vines is a white wine that is extremely refreshing and light (on both the palate and the wallet). This wine is a perfect compliment to any chicken or pasta dish as well.
2. Chauteau August - This merlot (the best for under $10) has a smooth taste and goes well with red meat and sharp cheeses.
3.Ravenswood Zinfadel - A fairly dry wine, but one of the best you can get for under $10. Extremely smooth with lots of flavor.
4. Twin Fin Pinot Noir - Has a slight "alcoholy" taste, but is very rich. Goes great with pizza, steak, or pasta with red sauce.
5. Voga Quattro - An interesting (and great tasting) blend of merlot, shiraz, cabernet sauvignon, and pinot noir.
6. D'Arenberg the Stump Jump - Has the smell and taste of dark berries. A very good red wine for under $10.
7. Veramonte Merlot Reserva - A mixture of blackberry and cherry aromas. This red wine has a great flavor.
8. HRM Rex Goliath Zinfandel - A California wine with a lot of blackberry and cherry flavors.
9. Banrock Station Riesling - A South Australian white wine with a hint of lemon flavor.
10. Domaine Houchart - A great summer wine that has hints of strawberry and watermelon.
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
10. Live - Throwing Copper: Throwing Copper was the best "Nirvana influenced" album of the 90's. When listening to the current (horrible) albums that Live has released, it is surprising that they ever put a great album like this. Nevertheless, Throwing Copper is a great record that doesn't include a filler track.
Best Track: Lightning Crashes
9. Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory: I've listened to "Definitely Maybe" nearly as much as this album and I think the Morning Glory is the better album tune for tune. Oasis is hardly originial or innovative, but they take the music of their influences (primarily The Beatles) and turn it into a flawless pop album. Every track on this album is ridiculously catchy from the opener "Hello" all the way to the closer "Champagne Supernova".
Best Track: Champagne Supernova
8. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik: The first four releases from the RHCP were all very good (with the exception of maybe their debut), but they really came into their own on Blood Sugar Sex Magik. This album might be very long, but it is always enjoyable throughout. No other band was playing music like the Chili Peppers at the time and Blood Sugar Sex Magik illustrates why they were one of the best of the 90's.
Best Track: Under the Bridge
7. Pearl Jam - Ten: There is no question that this is a great album, but what makes Ten even more impressive is that it was a debut album. Eddie Vedder did work on other projects prior to Pearl Jam (Temple of the Dog), but that doesn't take away from the fact that this album is incredibly impressive for a debut (or any album for that matter). Pearl Jam did release other great albums during their still ongoing career (Vitalogy, Vs, Yield), but none have come close to the nearly perfect Ten.
Best Track: Black
6. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream: I almost put "Mellon Collie" here instead. Even though "Mellon Collie" has some of my favorite Smashing Pumpkins tunes, the double album has too much filler to make the list. Siamese Dream, on the otherhand, is nearly a flawless album. Even though this piggy backed off of the success of Nirvana's Nevermind, it still had a huge influence on the post-grunce music scene.
Best Track: Today
5. Jimmy Eat World - Clarity: This is where all my credibility goes out the window right? For people who first heard Jimmy Eat World from the song "The Middle" (or future hits), you really need to give this release a listen. Clarity is completely different from the band's other releases. It is, without question, the best emo album of all time.
Best Track: Lucky Denver Mint
4. Sublime - Sublime: What's frustrating to me about this album (Sublime's best release) is that lead singer Bradley Nowell died shortly before it's release; never, in my opinion, reaching his peak as a songwriter. Nevertheless, this album is truly one of the best ones released during the 90s. No other band had mixed reggae, rock, pop, and alternative music nearly as well as Sublime did. This album (along with 40oz to Freedom to a lesser extent) helped to influence modern bands such as Pepper and Slightly Stoopid.
Best Track: April 29, 1992
3. Nirvana - Nevermind: Nevermind completely changed the face of music. Nobody was making music like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Lithium" and if they were, it certainly wasn't ruling the radiospace like Nirvana's tunes were. This album is hyped a lot due to Kurt Cobain's death, the fact that it was "different" than other music at the time, and because of how many bands this album influenced. This album is one of the rare ones that is just as good as the hype and even after 18 years (can't believe it's been out this long), it still continues to have an impact on newer generations from their very first listen.
Best Track: Smells Like Teen Spirit
2. Radiohead - Ok Computer: Even with the brilliance of "The Bends", nobody anticipated a release quite like this from Radiohead. Every single track on this album (with maybe the exception of "Fitter Happier") illustrates why this band is in a league of their own. This album almost always appears in people's top 3 for best 90's albums and rightfully so.
Best Track: Paranoid Android
1. Green Day - Dookie: Many would argue that while this is certainly worthy of the "top 10", it should not be in the number 1 spot. Green Day's Dookie, however, has had just as much impact on modern music as Nirvana's Nevermind and Radiohead's Ok Computer. This album, in my opinion, is not only one of the best albums from the 90's, but also one of the best of all time. Every song on here is an instant punk classic. Bands throughout the 90's and the new millenium tried to replicate the success of Dookie, but none have even come close. Green Day continues to make great music, but none of their future releases could compare to that of Dookie.
Best Track: Longview
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
1. Rosh Hashanah Cookie Arrangement - Instead of cake, why not celebrate the New Year with a Rosh Hashanah Cookie Arrangement courtesy of Clever Cookie. Not only are these cookies Kosher (and dairy free), you can get your own personalized message incorporated onto a cookie. Same day shipping available for individuals within the New York area and next day shipping available for people outside the New York region. This unique gift idea is bound to be a success at any Rosh Hashanah gathering.
2. Bagels from Bagel Boss - When it comes to bagels, nobody does it better than New York. Sure you can get a bagel anywhere, but New York bagels are known for being the best (from my experience I can definitely tell you that this is true). My favorite bagel place has to be Bagel Boss (Egg bagel with lox cream cheese specifically). What's great about Bagel Boss is that if you are not in the New York region you can get them shipped to you from anywhere in the United States the next day.
3. Jewish Recipes - For those of you with no Rosh Hashanah gift budget, you can preparea custom cookbook of Jewish recipes. JewishRecipes.com offers thousands of different Kosher recipe ideas for free. Why not put together a few of these recipes into one booklet and give it to the indiviudal hosting the Rosh Hashanah gathering. This idea is not only thoughtful, but won't require you to spend a dime.
4. Jewish Calendar - Since Rosh Hashanah is a celebration of the new year, a Jewish calendar makes perfect sense for a gift idea. TraditionsJewishGifts.com offers a selection of Jewish calendars that you can receive in two days after your purchase.
5. Stars of David Jewelry - Judaica Web Store offers over 100 jewelry items for sale that contain the Star of David. This gift idea is definitely for somebody with a more lucrative budget, if you have the money it makes for a great gift idea. Jewelry from Judaica Web Store can be sent within 2 days after purchase.
Friday, September 11, 2009
Ditch Friday Daytime Pool Party at Palms Pool & Bungalows – Friday, September 11, 2009
Experience the ultimate poolside party presented by N9ne Group, Ditch Friday, at the Palms Pool & Bungalows on September 11. The most scintillating party on the Las Vegas strip takes place across three-acres of an adults-only playground complemented by three pools, a climate-controlled gaming area, four bars and two dramatic waterfalls. Partygoers can enjoy creative cocktails and mouth-watering cuisine while relaxing in a sexy and sophisticated setting filled with chic custom-designed furniture and décor. Each of the three two-story, poolside bungalows at the Palms has its own private bar, 42-inch plasma television, DVD player, stereo, LED lighted bathrooms, comfortable king beds and direct views of the poolside stage. The pool also features 27 amenity-packed VIP cabanas loaded with a stone table with a built-in ice chest, state-of-the-art sound system, 32-inch plasma television, house phone, lighted fan, refrigerator, digital safes and designer lounge furniture. Don’t miss this perfect excuse to skip work on Friday! Ticket prices range from $20 for pre-paid entry to 60$ for a VIP All Access Wristband. Log on to the N9ne Group Ticket Center for more information.
Ray Romano & Brad Garrett at the Mirage Resort and Casino Las Vegas – September 12 & 13, 2009
America’s favorite sarcastic brothers from the Emmy award-winning sitcom “Everybody Loves Raymond” are set to reminisce on hilarious old times on stage in the Terry Fator Theatre at the Mirage Resort and Casino. Fans of the sitcom should not expect to see “Robert Barone” (Garrett’s deep-voiced character from the show), but an unrestrained stand-up comic who leaves audiences laughing long after he has left the stage. Despite branching off from their television alter egos, Romano and Garrett still behave like brothers on stage, casually insulting each other one minute and then boosting the other’s spirit the next. The dynamic duo is sure to bring on some tears from uncontrollable laughter, and promises to be one of the most spectacular Las Vegas events of September. Ticket prices range from $99 to $119 with seating based upon availability. Doors open one hour prior to show time and children under the age of 16 are not permitted to attend. Guests under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult and parental discretion is advised.
Joe Weider’s Olympia Weekend 2009 at the Las Vegas Convention Center – September 24 – 27, 2009
The 2009 Olympia Weekend Expo kicks off its fifth straight year at the Las Vegas Convention Center on September 25, bringing the ultimate bodybuilding and fitness experience to fans and enthusiasts from all over the world. Join an expected guest list of over 30,000 fans, all free to sample and purchase new products from across the globe while meeting professional athletes, celebrities and industry icons along the way. Witness grueling, adrenaline-pumping competitions such as Olympia’s Strongest Man Challenge and the Women’s Battle of the Biceps, as well as exciting shows like Olympia’s Powerlifting Super Show. Olympia is also proud announce the return of FLEX Magazine’s Bikini Model Search, the NAGA Olympia World Grappling Championship, Superstar Training Camp, 202 Showdown and the world-famous Olympia Muscle Pit, where fans get the chance to pump iron with their favorite IFBB professionals. Tickets for the event cost $15 per person, where every fan will bring home tons of Olympia giveaways including supplements, protein bars, energy drinks, t-shirts, fitness magazines and more!
Monday, August 24, 2009
It is no secret that the road to becoming a "famous musician" is no easy task. Becoming a well known musician does not only take an enormous amount of time, but is extremely difficult given the amount of competition that is out there. There are steps that you can take, however, to help increase your chances of "getting the word out" about your music.
1. Upload Your Music Everywhere Possible: By joining http://www.ourwave.com, http://purevolume.com, and http://myspace.com you are definitely on the right path of increasing your exposure. Take it one step further and upload your music on any website that allows you to do so. Most of them are free, and you never know who will stumble across your profile page.
2. Play at Shows as Often as You Can: Touring is a highly effective way in getting your music the recognition that it deserves. If you have an opportunity to play anywhere (no matter how big or small..no matter how much you get paid for it), TAKE IT. You never know who will be attending. One influential person can have a huge impact on your band.
3. Use the Internet to Your Advantage: Now, more than ever, there are millions of interactive websites that exist that are FREE to use. Why not take advantage of them? Upload all of your music videos to video-sharing websites such as YouTube, MetaCafe, and Break. Create a profile on Twitter and "tweet" about what's going on with you / your band. Make a Facebook Fan Page / MySpace profile. You get the deal. Will everything substantial;y increase your exposure? Probably not, but you never know what will. Yes it can be time consuming, but the end results could be well worth it.
4. Give Away Demos for Free: Not everyone has the budget for this, but if you can, distribute your music for free. People are more inclined to "give your music a shot" if they don't have to invest anything into it.
5. SWAG it Up: SWAG, for those of you who do not know, stands for "stuff we all get". Get some t-shirts, hats, buttons, pins, stickers, bumper stickers, etc. and give it out at your show. People naturally like free things. If somebody wears a t-shirt showing your band / musician name it might spark some curiosity, thus increase your overall exposure. Make sure to include your website so people can find you easier!
6. Connect with other Musicians: Whether it is Facebook, MySpace, or Twitter find some musicians within your area and try to hook up with them (specifically ones that play a similar genre of music as you do). Building a relationship this way can help get your foot into the door in regards to playing in shows that you normally wouldn't have played.
7. Ask for Help: You have friends. Use them to your advantage. Ask them to send a shout on Twitter for you, e-mail a couple of buddies, send a request to your Facebook page..whatever it is. Most people will be glad to help.
Thursday, August 13, 2009
10. Crank - Crank is the ultimate guy flick. This is the only film that I am aware of where a guy is getting head while in a high speed car cash while killing a bunch of a bad guys. Extremely badass. The movie is way over the top and the plot is a little dumb, but it's hard to take your eyes off the screen at all. Non stop action, sex, and badassness.
9.Bio-Dome - Metacritic voted Biodome as the"worst movie of all time" (http://www.metacritic.com/film/lowscores.shtml ). It's a Pauly Shore flick which will tell you right off the bat that this is a stupid film. Basically two stoners wonder into a "bio-dome" thinking it's a mall. The "bio-dome" closes shut and now five scientists have to deal with Pauly Shore and Stephen Baldwin for an entire year. It's a bad movie, but at the same time has a lot of laughs if you fall into the right demographic.
8.The Fast and the Furious - This movie built a huge cult following after it's initial release. This is the ultimate movie for your "meathead, fist pumping" demographic. There are fast cars (lots of them), hot chicks (Michelle Rordiguez and Jordana Brewster), Vin Diesel, and a lot of non-stop action all the while not being too heavy on delivering a great plot. It's not a great movie by any means, but it is entertaining and certainly a good way to kill a couple of hours.
7. History of the World: Part 1 - One of the original spoof movies is also one of the best. This is my favorite movie that Mel Brooks put out, but it still constitues as a "stupid movie" (as does most spoof movies).
6. Airplane - Loved this movie despite how stupid a lot of the humor is. This has become a cult classic and still appeals to new generations of movie goers.
5. Dumb and Dumber - One of the original Jim Carrey movies is also one of his funniest. Dumb and Dumber is the story of two losers, Harry and Lloyd, who go on a mission to return a lady's (who Lloyd drove to the airport) briefcase. They are unaware, however, that the suitcase contains ransom money for the lady's husband. Hilarity ensues. You know with a title like "Dumb and Dumber" that you are not going to get an Oscar worthy movie, but this movie is still hysterical (as with the other movies..you need to have a certain sense of humor).
4. Troll 2 - "They're eating her. Then they're going to eat me. Oh my gooooooood." This is one of the lines from Troll 2, the worst horror movie ever made. You can view the aformentioned scene here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyophYBP_w4). This movie is the opposite of scary, the acting is beyond horrible, the plot is all over the place and makes no sense, but you want to watch it again and again because of how entertainingly bad it is. Troll 2 apparently is supposed to be the sequel to the originial Troll movie, although each movie has nothing to do with each other.
3. The Room - For those of you who have never heard of "The Room", check out this trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCj8sPCWfUw). Yup, this is a real movie. This is, in fact, considered one of the worst movies ever made. After seeing it a few times, I'd have to agree. The acting is atrocious, the plot is horrible, the music is lame..everything about the movie just plain sucks. However, everything is SO bad that it's downright hilarious. It's one of the movies that you laugh at..not with. This has grown so popular over the past couple of years, that they now have monthly screenings of it in LA and have brought it into New York (all shows are usually sold out). David Cross and Jonah Hill also consider it one of their favorite movies. I don't want to give too much away. You really just need to see this movie to see why this ranks as one of the best stupid movies of all time.
2. Billy Madison - I think I've seen this movie over a thousand times. I'm not kidding. Every time it's on TV (even TBS where they block some stuff out) I HAVE to watch it. I don't really need to go over the plot because if you're a fan of "stupid movies" you no doubt have seen this at least twice (and if you haven't..shame on you). Even after seeing it more times than I can count, it makes me laugh everytime I watch it. The whole story is absurd..it definitely constitutes as a bad movie, but it's easily one of the best bad movies out there.
1. Wet Hot American Summer - People will no doubt have mixed feelings about this being on the list (and in the number 1 spot). Some people will argue that this doesn't count as a "stupid movie", while most others will have no idea what this movie even is. This is one of my favorite movies of all time, but it's really hard to argue that it is not a really stupid movie. Wet Hot American Summer takes place during the last day of a sleepaway camp. That's really the entire plot, but I laugh during pretty much every scene of this movie EVERY time I watch it. For those of you who do not think this is a "stupid movie" take a closer look at some of the scenes that take place. There's a talking can of beans who "sucks his own dick..a lot", a scene where most of the camp staff goes into town and robs an old lady to shoot up some heroin..and then are fine 5 minutes later, and a random Kenyan marathon runner who interupts a capture the flag game. Not to mention a cook who humps fridges, fondles his sweater, owns a bottle of dick cream, and smears mud on his ass. This might be always my favorite stupid movie.
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
1. Contact your roommate before moving in. Divide the big supplies and appliances so you can both use them without doubling up, including microwaves, micro fridges and bulletin boards. Also, find out everything you can about your dorm. Don’t bring a huge carpet vacuum cleaner if the floors are tile, leave toasters and indoor grills at home if the campus does not allow heating appliances and do not bring bathroom cleaning supplies if the campus uses community bathrooms.
2. Store all of your crap in a storage facility. Anyone who has lived in a dorm as a college freshman understands how items once considered “important” could easily transform into gigantic messes over a relatively short period. Self storage facilities are a great option for freshman students looking to free up some space in their cluttered dorm and make it a bit more livable. Storage rental units can store as little or as much of the crap that is taking over your sanctuary, for as long as you need. Store winter clothes, golf clubs, skis, bicycles, tools, camping gear or any other item you were certain would become useful while up at school. Self storage facilities also come in handy when it comes time to head home for the summer. Most colleges make you empty out your dorm room at the end of the year. Instead of packing up your car and bringing everything home, leave it all at a storage facility and take it out when you return in the fall.
Recommended storage facility: Storage Deluxe – Call Storage Deluxe toll-free at 1-877-989-STORE, or 1-877-989-7867 to make an appointment, tour their facility and/or reserve a self storage unit. You can also reserve your self storage rental unit directly online.
3. Get a MicroFridge instead of having a separate microwave and mini fridge. A MicroFridge combines the features of a refrigerator, freezer and microwave all in one single unit. The space-saving appliance measures over two cubic feet and enables upright storage of two-liter bottles or half-gallon containers. The MicroFridge comes in classic black, white and stainless steel models, costing around $425.
Visit www.MicroFridge.com to place an order.
4. Build a loft bed (if the housing department allows it). Think of a loft bed as a bunk bed, only without the bottom bunk. Use this extra space beneath the bed for a chair, desk, cushions or a bookshelf and double your loft bed as a makeshift towel or coat rack. If you prefer catching your Z’s closer to the ground, invest in some heavy-duty bed risers and store luggage, extra blankets, seasonal clothing and school supplies under the bed. Low-rise storage containers also fit neatly in this extra space.
5. Embrace the power of the milk crate. Keeping milk crates in a college dorm room is as cliché as seeing a biker with a handlebar mustache, but they are highly effective in creating low-cost organization. Milk crates hold items both neatly or jumbled, equipped with cutouts making it easy to identify the contents. Milk crates also make great improvised shelves, stools or nightstands and can even hold file folders for your notes, papers and research assignments.
6. Remove a few posters and make room for screw-in or adhesive hooks. Design a tiny closet or a place for keys, purses or backpacks with hooks. Screw one into the door and use it for coats, pajamas, towels, clothes or other dorm room gear.
Monday, August 3, 2009
GOODLIFE SUNDAYS Presents Bronson’s Wresting Federation - The Pose Off @ Playboy Club – Sunday, August 9th @ 10:00 p.m.
Put on your wrestling outfit and bring your “A” game to The Pose Off at N9ne Group’s Playboy Club to challenge the greatest poser on earth - The Little Giant. Do you have what it takes to out-pose 1983’s Clark County Backyard Bonanza Pro Wrestling Super Heavy Weight Champion? If you do, you may become the proud new holder of the coveted BWF Champion Belt! Supplemented by body slamming sounds provided by DJs Graham Funke and Mark Stylz, the event begins at 10 p.m. and ladies drink complimentary champagne until midnight. Visit the official Playboy Club website for more information.
World Extreme Cagefighting Presents the World Bantamweight Championship at the Joint at Hard Rock Hotel – Sunday, August 9th @ 3:00 p.m.
Witness the World Extreme Cagefighting bout that will determine pound-for-pound the world’s best bantamweight fighter. The thirty-six and one WEC bantamweight champion, Miguel Angel Torres defends his title against undefeated Brian Bowles (7-0) on Sunday, August 9th at the Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino. A win for Torres will engrave his status as the best 135-pound fighter in history, while an upset from Bowles will crown him the new top dog of the most ruthless fighting arena known to man. Doors open at 2 p.m. with the first battle of the nine-fight-scheduled fight card starting at 3 p.m. Visit Ticketmaster.com for ticket prices and information.
Ditch Fridays Daytime Pool Party Presents Midsummer Night’s Dream Weekend – Friday, August 14th – Sunday, August 16th
Do you want to be a part of the hottest end-of-the-week party known to the Las Vegas strip this August? Enter Ditch Fridays Daytime Pool Party at the Palms Pool & Bungalows presented by N9ne Group. Ditch Fridays is an event held exclusively to those with only one thing on their Friday afternoon agenda, and it has nothing to do with filing documents, meeting with clients or filling out timesheets. The Midsummer Night’s Dream Weekend kicks off Friday at noon, where event goers can relax at the infamous Ditch Fridays Daytime Pool Party and gain nighttime access to three of N9NE Group’s most prestigious nightclubs, Playboy Club, Ghostbar and Moon Nightclub. The costume or mask-required main event, entitled “A Pirate’s Guilty Pleasure,” takes place Saturday, August 15th at 9 p.m. at the Palms Pool & Bungalows followed by a Closing Party Sunday at 10 p.m. to wrap up one unforgettable weekend in Sin City.
Kings of Leon Live at the Joint at Hard Rock Hotel – Wednesday, August 19th @ 8:00 p.m.
Performing original songs from their fourth studio album, “Only by the Night,” Kings of Leon is taking the stage at the Joint at Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas on August 19th. The American rock band’s 2008 album peaked inside the top 10’s in over 10 different countries and recently became the biggest selling digital album in history. Kings of Leon is up for three Grammy Award nominations and the band’s hit single “Use Somebody” continues to climb VH1’s Top 20 List. Visit Ticketmaster.com to purchase tickets to this Vegas event spectacular and experience firsthand the music sensation that is sweeping nation.
GOODLIFE SUNDAYS Presents Thrift Store Junkie at Playboy Club – Sunday, August 23rd @ 10:00 p.m.
Just when you thought the thrift store clothing you bought six months ago would go to waste, N9ne Group’s Thrift Store Junkie comes to the rescue. Wear your most outrageous thrift store ensemble and be eligible to win a $500 gift certificate to your favorite thrift store! The event commences at 10:00 p.m. inside Playboy Club at the Palms Resort & Casino and ladies drink complimentary champagne until midnight. Sort through your entire vintage collection, visit your local Salvation Army or second hand store and become an official thrift store junkie for one fabulous night in Las Vegas.
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
1. Omni Financial – Omni Financial’s convenient direct deposit system lends members of the U.S. military stationed all across the world the money they need within 24 hours of approval. Omni offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all personalized military loans, available in denominations of $500 up to $10,000. Military personnel unsatisfied with their loan or services provided by Omni Financial have the option of cancelling their transaction and returning their proceeds within 15 days at no additional cost. Omni Financial accepts applications for military loans 24 hours a day and 7 days a week to members of both the U.S. Armed Services and U.S. Coast Guard. Apply for a safe and secure Omni Financial military loan today and receive a free credit report.
2. Golf Financial – Golf Financial is a national, full service financial institution dedicated to the golf industry, specializing in working with niche golf course entities including owners, designers, developers and management companies. Golf Financial sources funds for upcoming projects, restructures current loans to aid financial setbacks and offers a National Listing Service for municipalities, individuals and companies looking to sell their golf course property. Additional financing services and solutions provided by Golf Financial include acquisition financing and refinancing on existing operations, the restructuring of existing debt and the lending of development loans.
3. Advance Restaurant Finance – Advance Restaurant Finance secures competitive rates for small to medium-sized merchants in need of short-term restaurant, retailer and other business loans, especially for those with less than perfect credit. By securing lending in areas where most banks will stop, ARF’s financial professionals help restaurant owners retain control of their business while meeting their company’s goals. The flexible financing options available at Advance Restaurant Financing are cheap and simple, with an application process that is fast and easy. ARF funds loan payments quickly, and payments will not increase because of increased sales. Terms are available for up to 18 months and the interest paid on ARF loans is tax deductable.
4. Police Officer Loans – Police Officer Loans offers an Officer Next Door (OND) program helping law enforcement officers qualify for faster and more affordable mortgage financing. Requirements and eligibility for the OND program include living in the designated property as a sole residence for at least three years after the purchase and being a full-time, sworn law enforcement officer working for a city, county, state or Federal law enforcement agency. The OND program offers loans to police officers for multiple scenarios and grants reduced private mortgage insurance premiums with minimal down payment requirements.
5. Advance Capital Group Tow Truck Financing –Advance Capital Group offers a variety of tow truck financing and leasing options for businesses throughout the United States. With over 20 years of experience, ACG’s financial professionals assist people looking to upgrade their existing truck as well as those in need of purchasing of a new or used tow truck. Finance programs are also available for start-up businesses and institutions with challenged credit, with 0% due before funding and payments as low as 2% of the amount financed. Competitive low payments are available with terms of 24 to 60 months, and Advance Capital Group approves financing for tow trucks purchased from private parties, dealers and from their own inventory.
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
1. Wines of Darioush Wine Pairing with Chef Geno Bernardo at Nove Italiano – Thursday, July 9th 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Brought to you exclusively by N9NE Group from the top of the Palm’s Casino Resort in Las Vegas is Nove Italiano’s Darioush Wine Tasting and Pairing event, hosted by Executive Chef Geno Bernardo and Winemaker and Vineyard Manager of Darioush Winery, Steve Devitt. The Wines of Darioush event invites and encourages guests to participate in an intimate five-course tasting and wine pairing extravaganza. Event-goers can expect to learn useful tips on cooking Italian fare and receive expert advice on pairing food with wine, all the while indulging in delicious dishes of shellfish, East Coast skate wing, seared Long Island duck breast, free-range veal and various Italian cheeses.
2. UFC at Mandalay Bay Events Center – Saturday, July 11, 2009 @ 5:00 PM
The treacherous worlds of wresting, boxing and mixed martial arts collide to form the Ultimate Fighting Championship (aka UFC) event spectacular at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. Don’t miss your chance to witness the sporting event that has taken the U.S. by storm with its caged, fast paced, anything goes style of ferocious fighting. Visit GoTickets.com to purchase tickets and to view the Mandalay Bay Events Center seating chart.
3. CLASH featuring LA Riots at the Ghostbar in the Palms Casino Resort – Thursday, July 16th @ 8:00 PM – 4:00 AM
One of the hottest electro bands in the industry, the LA Riots, are performing live at N9NE Group’s 8,000 square foot Ghostbar indoor-outdoor lounge and sky deck located on the 55th floor of the Palms Casino Resort. Just a few months after performing their exclusive remixes at some of the hottest parties the Los Angeles coast has ever seen, the LA Riots are making their way to Sin City for a concert event like no other. All access passes to CLASH cost $20 and include general admission into Ghostbar, Moon and Playboy N9NE Group nightclubs with free check-in to any club guest list. Each club offers a variety of Rock, Hip Hop, Mash-ups, House and Electronic music for your listening pleasure and every party need.
4. The Fray at the Pearl Concert Theater in the Palms Casino Resort – Friday, July 17th @ 7:00 PM
The Grammy- nominated piano rock band from Denver, The Fray, known internationally for their hit single and Billboard Hot 100 song “How to Save a Life,” is set to perform live at the Pearl Concert Theater at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas. Any fan of The Fray understands the powerful way this pop/rock band mesmerizes audiences and touches them with the lyrics to their smash hit songs. Anticipation for this July 17th event is growing quickly and tickets for The Fray can sell out in a matter of hours. Purchase tickets online today for a chance to catch one of the most highly acclaimed performances in one of the greatest cities in the world.
5. Jerry Seinfeld at The Colosseum in Caesars Palace – Friday, July 31st @ 7:30 PM
Experience firsthand the world-famous observational comedy of funnyman Jerry Seinfeld at the Colosseum in Las Vegas’ beautiful Caesars Palace. The stand-up legend, best-selling author and star of his own hit television series “Seinfeld” shares his witty, curious and quirky sense of humor with a live audience destined to be in tears from inevitable laughter. Ticket prices for the show range from $75 to $150 plus tax and fees with one-night hotel accommodation packages available, starting at just $362. Reserve your Caesars Palace Jerry Seinfeld show package today from GoVegas.About.com and receive two inclusive Rear Orchestra tickets with your one-night stay.
Monday, July 6, 2009
1. iLike.com – iLike is the Internet’s leading social music service where over 45 million people share music recommendations, playlists and concert alerts. Many artists use iLike’s Universal Artist Dashboard to reach fans and spread their music virally while managing their presence across multiple channels. These channels include some of the Web's leading names in social networking such as Facebook, Ask.com, Orkut, Bebo and hi5. Industry experts estimate that more than 200,000 leading artists from every genre are now using iLike’s multimedia blogging tools to gain exposure across the Web and communicate directly with their fans.
2. MySpace Music– MySpace is one of the biggest social networking sites for people who live for music, providing a remarkable opportunity for musicians to gain online exposure. Using a MySpace Music profile, musicians are free to upload their music for their fans to discover and download. Essentially, MySpace Music creates a gateway for music to spread virally throughout its social network, where other MySpace members can explore the music videos, featured playlists and top artists of the MySpace community. Having a presence on MySpace is a great way for musicians to make a name for themselves and can open a number of doors to the heart of the music industry.
3. Last.fm – Last.fm is also one of the world’s largest and most respected social music platforms for upcoming artists to get their brand seen by a giant online community of music lovers. Last.fm operates under a system of “scrobbling,” where the name of the song a member listens to is sent to Last.fm and added to their music profile for others to see. Millions of songs are scrobbled every day, helping fans figure out which songs they listen to the most while helping artists spread their music at the same time.
4. OurStage – Thousands of listeners visit OurStage.com every day to discover the best new sound in music. OurStage lets the fans vote and decide which songs and musicians deserve to rise to the top. Any musician can earn the popularity points required to gain recognition in one of the Web’s most visited online music communities. Besides the exposure, musicians with the most votes are also eligible to win prizes, which serves as an added incentive to upload music to OurStage.
5. MP3.com – MP3.com is a tremendously popular place for musicians to promote their music online, where the chances of artists getting loads of traffic directed towards their music are always in their favor. Musicians who upload their albums and songs to MP3.com attract tons of new fans looking for a free outlet to their favorite artists and bands. Word spreads rather quickly throughout this online source for digital music, opening a number of doors for any musician seeking recognition.
6. OurWave –OurWave.com offers a unique way of helping new artists gain exposure for their music, by featuring every artist in the OurWave community on the front page of the website. OurWave attributes the power of this fascinating feat to a randomly selected system that alternates the promotion of different musicians over time. Members of this emerging community are free to create an artist profile, upload their songs and notify friends and fans when they are planning to attend an event or posting new songs, providing even greater publicity.
7. PureVolume – Music aficionados developed PureVolume for two sole purposes – to help emerging artists promote their songs and to help die-hard fans find them. Together, these missions evolved to form one of the Internet’s most widely recognized social music sites where musicians, listeners and fans can create profiles enabling them to interact with each other and share the music they love. Each artist on PureVolume has a profile containing basic information, music updates, photos and music for streaming, and each of the songs on an artist’s profile is available for download at no cost.
8. Facebook –Musicians can literally advertise themselves on Facebook by making their own band page and having fans join their page as “Facebook fans.” This popular method of self-promotion helps musicians reach over 200 million active Facebook users by creating a presence that connects and engages fans through downloadable music. A Facebook page is a public profile enabling musicians to upload and share their songs with a growing online community that works in conjunction with Facebook Ads to spread the word even further. This is definitely a powerful tool for online promotion.
9. iTunes – Although many musicians use this method to promote themselves or their band, iTunes may not be the best place for an emerging musician to start. The reason for this is that despite having the ability to upload songs and sell them on iTunes’ distribution network, it can take a long time before a musician gets approved and accepted to the network. Granted, iTunes remains on our list as the top ten places for musicians to promote themselves, mostly because iTunes pays musicians for the songs they sell, as opposed to just spreading them across the Web. Musicians should always keep in mind that iTunes does take $.35 for every $.99 song a musician sells.
10. GarageBand – GarageBand.com helps fans discover the music they love by allowing them to review the bands within the ever-growing community. With over 100,000 songs already reviewed by GarageBand’s members, musicians registered to the site are gaining a tremendous amount of exposure. GarageBand offers every registered musician the freedom to upload their tracks, have them reviewed by fans and use those reviews to climb to the top of GarargeBand charts. With enough positive reviews, bands and solo artists involved in the community also earn contest entries, so think of it as a bonus.
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Jim Carrey’s Great Funny Laughter – Most of us know him for his breakthrough performance in the 1994 hit comedy Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and who could possibly forget his indistinguishable laugh? If you’re a Jim Carrey fan who can’t get enough of his peculiar facial expressions and sinister cackle, you will definitely love this unique SweetIM.com instant messenger add on. Download the free SweetIM software now and gain additional access to tons of emoticons, winks, nudges and display pictures for total customization of your current instant messenger application.
World of Warcraft Add On – Are you among one of the 10 million mighty heroes trekking adventurously through the magical and mythical World of Warcraft? If so, then you will especially appreciate this popular and highly unique instant messenger add on. Only the finest WoW players understand the skills and tactics it takes to excel in the treacherous land of Azeroth. It’s time to let everyone know how dedicated you are to leveling your warriors and conquering the evil Horde. Never send an IM again without the power and passion of WoW at your fingertips.
Baby Emoticons – The baby emoticons available at SweetIM.com are a great way to send out a warm welcome to a friend or family member with a newborn baby boy or girl. These baby emoticons laugh, smile and cry and there are several different baby emoticons to choose. However, as a rule of thumb, you should always remember that sending a baby emoticon through an IM is hardly a valid excuse for skimping out on a baby shower gift.
HiYo Instant Messenger Add On – HiYo offers a unique and versatile Windows Live Messenger add on software that automatically generates a variety of winks, talking animations, emoticons and sounds based on the conversations you are having. The software creates an incredibly easy way to keep the conversation flowing without having to sift through layers and layers of content. The HiYo instant messenger add on serves as a friendly reminder that you should never underestimate the power of mindless, effortless conversation.
“I’m Drunk” Emoticons – We have all fallen victim to the drunk-n-dial phenomenon after a night at the bar, but SweetIM.com offers a new way of informing your friends that you are absolutely hammered. “I’m Drunk” emoticons are the perfect instant messenger add on for people who love expressing their giddy and pleasant inebriation. Although this emoticon may be extremely annoying to most of your friends, it still tops our list as a hilarious and highly unique instant messenger add on.
IMSpellchecker XP – This instant messenger add on has everything the perfectionist with writing aspirations needs to produce flawless content in every single message. The easy-to-use software combines spell checkers, word suggestions and auto-corrections with an array of useful tools commonly found in any English professor’s office including dictionaries and thesauruses. IMSpellchecker XP also serves as a great method for businesses to make a good impression when dealing with clients over instant message applications such as MSN Windows Live Messenger.
113Tools Utility 1.00 – 113Tools Utility 1.00 is a unique IM add on that prevents AOL Instant Messenger windows from popping up while you are typing. 113Tool Utility 1.00 also hides IM windows and applications by hotkey but prides itself on its ability to help people avoid accidentally sending a message to an unintended person. This software application is great for people who like to stay organized and perfect for teenagers who frequently get caught spreading online rumors behind their friend’s backs.
DeadAIM – DeadAIM is a popular add on that works within AIM Instant Messenger to tweak transparency, keep all conversations in a single tabbed interface and hide unused elements in the main AIM window. DeadAIM also incorporates some of the main characteristics of Windows Live Messenger, including pop up notifications when buddies sign on, sign off, set away messages or return to their keyboard. With this AIM Instant Messenger enhancement application, users realize a more customized and better overall online chat experience without switching to another app and losing their contacts.
eFaces – eFaces is an IM add on that is compatible with AOL, Yahoo! and MSN Windows Live Messenger services making it possible to send your favorite emoticons with just the push of your function keys. Twelve emoticons are included in this software application and you can send them rapid-fire to friends and co-workers each time you experience a change in emotion. In today’s fast-paced and stressful world, there is just no telling just how many different emotions will run through you in a given day, but at least you will be prepared to share them with everyone.
SmartButler- SmartButler enables users to listen to their incoming instant messages, as opposed to the traditional method of actually reading them. SmartButler can read messages from users in different voices and languages, as well as speeds, volumes and tones, all of which you can set so that you can identify which one of your friends, family members or co-workers is trying to communicate with you without visually referring to the chat window. SmartButler also supports voice commands so that you can stay in touch with the people in your life while giving your fingers and eyes a well-deserved rest.
Friday, June 5, 2009
From extravagant boxing matches to Hawaiian style daytime pool parties… from live Latin music to an array of professional DJs, this June takes the cake in upscale entertainment. Make sure your seat trays are in their up-locked position, below are the most anticipated Las Vegas events of June, 2009.
Ditch Fridays’ Daytime Pool Party: Hawaiian Luau with DJ AM – Friday, June 5th from 12:00p.m. to 6:00p.m.The N9NE Group has done it again, hosting what promises to be the most spectacular poolside party for the month of June, the Hawaiian Tropic Luau at the Palms Casino Resort. Partygoers can enjoy all the amenities that have made Ditch Fridays the place to be this summer in an outdoor playground featuring three pools with built in LED lighting, a climate-controlled gaming area, four bars packed with creative cocktails and two breathtaking waterfalls. The daytime pool party also features live concerts and music from world-renowned DJs, but the fun doesn’t stop here. Twenty-seven cabanas and three ultra-luxurious two-story bungalows with sleeping quarters are available exclusively to VIP members, loaded with everything a high class party aficionado needs including state-of-the-art sound systems and private bars.
Julio Iglesias at the Las Vegas Hilton – Friday, June 5th @ 8:00p.m.
The world’s most popular recording artist, Julio Iglesias, is set to perform on June 5th at the Las Vegas Hilton. The Grammy Award winning Latin singer will play songs from dozens of his previously recorded albums, proving once again why fans crowned him the Best Latin Singer of the Year, an award he received in 1987. Iglesias has sold more than 250 million albums in several different languages and has earned more Platinum and Gold records than any singer in history. The concert is for people ages 4 & up and ticket prices start at $59. Event goers have the option of choosing from front and back main seating, as well as balcony seating on the upstairs level. Tickets may be limited to ten per household.
Sunday in the Valley After Party – Sunday, June 7th @ 10:00p.m.
The Sunday in the Valley After Party held at the N9NE Group’s Playboy Club on June 7th is scheduled to follow an afternoon of fashion, shopping and relaxation at The Palms Resort Ballroom, an event hosted by the No-Kill Animal Shelter & Sanctuary (NSPCA) to raise animal awareness. The shop-to-benefit the NSPCA event takes place from 3:00p.m. until 7:00p.m., and the after party commences at the After Dark Playboy Club at 10:00p.m. Women can drink complimentary champagne until midnight and enjoy all of the amenities that have made the N9NE Group the premier selection among the world-famous Las Vegas venues. Text “9GRP” to 95959 from your mobile phone to join the Palms Nightlife VIP club or call 702-942-6832 for table reservations.
Sterling Night of Fights: Bones Adams vs. Kid Diamond – Friday, June 12th @ 6:30p.m.
Former world champion Clarence “Bones” Adams and title contender Almazbek “Kid Diamond” Raiymkulov are not the only fighters to get excited about seeing at The Pearl inside the Palms on June 12th. The six-bout card for the Sterling Night of Fights also features heavyweight Charles Shufford, undefeated super lightweight Sharif Bogere and super lightweight Renell Griffin, three Las Vegans also looking to wreak havoc in the squared arena. Ticket prices start at $29 for balcony seating, $54 in the mezzanine and $79 to be down on the floor. Fans of all ages are welcome to attend and this is one Las Vegas event sure to deliver a knockout punch.
Friday, May 22, 2009
1. BSafe Electrix - BSafe offers duplex wall outlets that can help prevent electrical fires capable of destroying not only your home, but your property, financial situation and most importantly, your life. Most electrical fires result from problems with "fixed wiring" such as faulty electrical outles and old wiring. BSafe’s TFCI thermal cut-off technology recognizes abnormal temperatures through multiple sensors located at each outlet contact and binding head screw terminal and disconnects the load so it is no longer functional. A pin protrudes from the device, protecting the outlet from overload and notifying the user about the potentially dangerous high heat. BSafe outlet is ideal for new construction and remodeling, serving as a great way to protect both your assets and loved ones from electrical fires.
2. ADT Safewatch QuickConnect – The Safewatch QuickConnect from ADT offers a number of ways to monitor your home, all in one convenient unit. The two-way voice communication feature puts you in direct contact with ADT Monitoring Centers, where you can report burglaries, fires or AC power failures, while notifying the police at the same time. The QuickConnect control panel incorporates an easy-to-use touchpad, siren and speaker, so that even in a panic, you’ll be able to contact someone who can help. Additional wireless accessories in the Safewatch QuickConnect package include two door and/or window sensors, one motion detector, one keychain remote to turn your system on or off, one power supply with 24 hour battery and one ADT window decal and yard sign to warn potential intruders that your home is protected.
3. A Carbon Monoxide Detector – Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, invisible gas formed in the home from incomplete combustion from any flame-fueled device. Some of these non-electric devices that are found in the home include ranges and ovens, which are the two most common sources of carbon monoxide, as well as clothes dryers, furnaces, water heaters, space heaters, grills, fireplaces and vehicles. The dangers of inhaling carbon monoxide include a number of unpleasant symptoms such as shortness of breath, dizziness, severe headaches and mental confusion, and high levels of inhalation can cause tissue damage and death. Carbon monoxide detectors are designed to alert people about the presence of this dangerous gas before it spreads, so that you can get out of the house, ventilate it and contact the proper authorities, thus greatly reducing the risk of developing a serious health condition such as carbon monoxide poisoning.
4. A Smoke Alarm – What makes a smoke alarm such a vital tool in protecting your home and your loved ones is its ability to warn you about a potential fire so that you will have time to escape it. In the event of a fire, every second counts, and a properly installed and maintained smoke alarm could be the one device capable of saving your life. Smoke alarms are available from many different vendors but generally fall into two basic categories; ionization and photoelectric alarms. Ionization alarms sound when a flaming and fast moving fire is present, where a photoelectric alarm is quicker at detecting smoky and smoldering fires. Since there is no way of determining which type of fire your household may experience, it is highly recommended to have both types installed and maintained.
5. Keeping a Fire Extinguisher in the Home – Everyone should have at least one fire extinguisher in the home, preferably in the kitchen, but also in the garage or workshop if you want added protection. It is also important to have the right type of fire extinguisher since not all fires are the same. Water extinguishers only fight Class A fires, or fires sparked from ordinary combustible materials such as paper, wood, plastics and cardboard. There are also extinguishers filled with foam and powder, pressurized with nitrogen, that fight Class B, C and D fires caused by combustible liquids (i.e. kerosene, gasoline, grease and oil), electrical equipment (i.e. appliances, wiring, circuit breakers, etc.) or combustible metals used in chemical laboratories (i.e. magnesium, titanium, potassium, etc.). Finally, there are Carbon Dioxide extinguishers, which are poor in fighting Class A fires but a good choice for electrical fires from a computer, TV, stereo or other electronic device. Always be sure that you have the right fire extinguisher in the right places to help protect you and your loved ones.
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
1. GoNogging - The site is like a combination of craigslist and your
typical freelancing page. Naturally there are listed jobs for you to take (for musicians there is a lot of opportunities to do jingles), but you can put up images, video, or music you've made for sale, an opportunity not really offered by the other sites on this list.
2. Adveres - Adveres functions as a freelance search engine of sorts. It has an exceptionally large amount of skill areas covered, so it's an easy format to look for jobs based on what your fields of expertise are.
3. List Bid - Extraordinarily straight forward layout. Has a decently sized population.
It concentrates on alot of coding but, there is writing and design jobs interspersed amongst them.
4. Guru - One of the go-to freelance sites. Membership is free but you can also get a paid one. The truth is you're much more likely to get a job with the paid membership, but it's only 30 to 90 dollars a quarter.
5. Pro Blogger Job Board - For anyone with any interest in blog writing, this is the site. If you have any kind of expertise on any subject matter you can likely find a job here. Even if you were looking for programming or graphic design jobs, you could get a job writing about those things.
Thursday, May 7, 2009
1. WhosYourChampion – The Internet phenomenon known as “Who’s Your Champion?” is an extension of the infamous and ever popular “Wall of Champions” that was created some time ago. According to legend, the Wall of Champions began one late summer evening in the basement of a man’s house when he stumbled upon a powerful cover photo of Ted Danson from the weekly TV Guide. The man saw something so deep in the eyes of the former bartender from “Cheers” that he was left with no choice but to take that photo and turn it into something spectacular. The original Wall of Champions, once held together by thumbtacks and Scotch tape, covered walls upon walls, and is now sweeping the Web. Since it was founded in 2006, the “Who’s Your Champion” website has become the ultimate place for fans to submit photos and videos of their favorite Champions. The founding fathers of the WhosYourChampion.com, who remain anonymous, stand behind their motto that “if you don’t know what a Champion is, you may be one!” The creators of the site also believe that users will be able to figure out the qualities a true Champion possesses just by visiting the site. Champion fanatics have the freedom to submit photos and videos of their favorite champs from a variety of categories including athletic Champions, celebrities, local Champions, “Champs of the Day” and the legendary “mustache” category. Users can then help their favorite Champions rise to the top or fall in despair through a voting and rating system, with the option of commenting on other user’s picks and interacting with the rest of the “Who’s Your Champ?” community. Users can also search for Champions or other users, explore “Champion News Links” and vote on the “Who’s Your Champion?” “Weekly Poll.”
2. Reddit – Reddit.com is another source for users to discover what is new and popular on the Web. The website gives users a chance to review links submitted by other users and vote for whether they thought the content was “hot” or “cold.” Users can click the “up arrow” to help the submission get closer to the “front page” and the “down arrow” will bring it further down. Users are free to submit interesting links for other community members to read while gaining karma and impressing their friends in the process. The theory behind Reddit.com is to “democratize” the traditional model of obtaining newsworthy material by “giving editorial control to the people who use the site” and not the ones who run it. Therefore, all of the content on the site comes from users who are rewarded for submitting “good content” and punished (by their peers) for “bad content” by a system of promotions and demotions. “Redditors” are not only presented with the newest and most popular material on the Web but all of the material on the “front page” will be a personalized page that is both filtered for quality by fellow Redditors and filtered for relevance by you!
3. Yahoo! Buzz – The mere fact that Yahoo! Buzz is an extension of Yahoo!, “the Web’s most popular starting point,” makes it an automatic Digg competitor with some serious potential. The website reveals some of the hottest and most timely content from across the Internet covering everything from politics and breaking news to entertainment, viral videos and personal blogs. All of the content found on Yahoo! Buzz is ranked according to a unique voting (or “buzzing”) system where, like Digg, users become the “editors” with the freedom to submit content , engage in conversations via commenting and “buzz” content up or down on the rankings based on relevance and importance . Buzz with higher rankings (also known as “Top Buzz”) shows up more prominently on the website and reaches this status in relation to the number of votes and comments the buzz receives, the popularity of related search terms on Yahoo! Search and the number of times users share the buzz with friends over email from Yahoo! Buzz. The top searches and stories on the site update every hour providing users a fast, simple way to keep up with their fast-paced worlds.
4. Plime –Plime.com is an editable Wiki-like news aggregator that also relies on community members to add and edit the weird and interesting links found throughout the site. Each individual user can rate any post or comment based on its value to the community, hence the philosophy behind this Digg-esque link forum that it is “controlled by everyone and no one.” Plime is also a great place for people to meet other members who share similar interests, otherwise referred to as “Plimates” in the Plime community, or a group of people commonly believed to be “very cool, ultra-attractive and extremely intellectual.” The key responsibility of each Plimate is to submit a variety of posts containing links to news stories, images and videos that are “interesting, funny or otherwise entertaining,” in which other Plimates can “upvote,” “downvote,” comment on or edit, assuming they have reached the required “karma” level. Plimates earn karma points when other users vote on their actions, adding or subtracting points based on the feedback and level the commenter is on. Higher levels give Plimates the option of editing other member’s posts as well as features of the site including categories, subcategories and color schemes with the added ability to change user’s access levels. To put it simply, the more karma you have in Plime, the more power you possess.
5. FMyLife.com – FMYLife.com provides users an often much-needed opportunity to vent their daily frustrations by speaking out about the pivotal moment that really “ruined their day.” FMyLife aims to prove that misfortunes and uncomfortable circumstances happen to everyone every day and gives people something that is fun to read and enjoyable on a daily basis. Each post on the site begins with “Today,” and ends with “FML,” allowing the user to fill in the space in between and contribute their “unfortunate experience” to a user-generated blog. FMyLife posts climb or fall down the “Top and Flop” charts according to two methods of visitor voting. Posts found on the “Top FML” list contain stories where other users agreed the event was bad enough to screw with someone’s day. The “Flop FML” list, on the other hand, contains posts about people who also had a bad experience but users in this category believed the person probably had it coming. Topics of interest, themes and categories found on the site include love, money, kids, work, health and sex, where users are encouraged to share their misfortunes with a sense of irony and self-depreciation. While this website does not contain "top news stories" as Digg does, it's substantial growth in popularity could result in a grab of some of Digg's market share.