Friday, May 22, 2009

Five Ways to Keep Your House Safe

Life is precious and you can never do too much in an attempt to protect it and preserve it. By guarding and securing your home with alarm systems, carbon monoxide detectors, smoke alarms, fire extinguishers and other disaster prevention devices, you are keeping safe all the things that matter to you most. Below are five ways to keep you, your family and your home safe.

1. BSafe Electrix - BSafe offers duplex wall outlets that can help prevent electrical fires capable of destroying not only your home, but your property, financial situation and most importantly, your life. Most electrical fires result from problems with "fixed wiring" such as faulty electrical outles and old wiring. BSafe’s TFCI thermal cut-off technology recognizes abnormal temperatures through multiple sensors located at each outlet contact and binding head screw terminal and disconnects the load so it is no longer functional. A pin protrudes from the device, protecting the outlet from overload and notifying the user about the potentially dangerous high heat. BSafe outlet is ideal for new construction and remodeling, serving as a great way to protect both your assets and loved ones from electrical fires.

2. ADT Safewatch QuickConnect – The Safewatch QuickConnect from ADT offers a number of ways to monitor your home, all in one convenient unit. The two-way voice communication feature puts you in direct contact with ADT Monitoring Centers, where you can report burglaries, fires or AC power failures, while notifying the police at the same time. The QuickConnect control panel incorporates an easy-to-use touchpad, siren and speaker, so that even in a panic, you’ll be able to contact someone who can help. Additional wireless accessories in the Safewatch QuickConnect package include two door and/or window sensors, one motion detector, one keychain remote to turn your system on or off, one power supply with 24 hour battery and one ADT window decal and yard sign to warn potential intruders that your home is protected.

3. A Carbon Monoxide Detector – Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, invisible gas formed in the home from incomplete combustion from any flame-fueled device. Some of these non-electric devices that are found in the home include ranges and ovens, which are the two most common sources of carbon monoxide, as well as clothes dryers, furnaces, water heaters, space heaters, grills, fireplaces and vehicles. The dangers of inhaling carbon monoxide include a number of unpleasant symptoms such as shortness of breath, dizziness, severe headaches and mental confusion, and high levels of inhalation can cause tissue damage and death. Carbon monoxide detectors are designed to alert people about the presence of this dangerous gas before it spreads, so that you can get out of the house, ventilate it and contact the proper authorities, thus greatly reducing the risk of developing a serious health condition such as carbon monoxide poisoning.

4. A Smoke Alarm – What makes a smoke alarm such a vital tool in protecting your home and your loved ones is its ability to warn you about a potential fire so that you will have time to escape it. In the event of a fire, every second counts, and a properly installed and maintained smoke alarm could be the one device capable of saving your life. Smoke alarms are available from many different vendors but generally fall into two basic categories; ionization and photoelectric alarms. Ionization alarms sound when a flaming and fast moving fire is present, where a photoelectric alarm is quicker at detecting smoky and smoldering fires. Since there is no way of determining which type of fire your household may experience, it is highly recommended to have both types installed and maintained.

5. Keeping a Fire Extinguisher in the Home – Everyone should have at least one fire extinguisher in the home, preferably in the kitchen, but also in the garage or workshop if you want added protection. It is also important to have the right type of fire extinguisher since not all fires are the same. Water extinguishers only fight Class A fires, or fires sparked from ordinary combustible materials such as paper, wood, plastics and cardboard. There are also extinguishers filled with foam and powder, pressurized with nitrogen, that fight Class B, C and D fires caused by combustible liquids (i.e. kerosene, gasoline, grease and oil), electrical equipment (i.e. appliances, wiring, circuit breakers, etc.) or combustible metals used in chemical laboratories (i.e. magnesium, titanium, potassium, etc.). Finally, there are Carbon Dioxide extinguishers, which are poor in fighting Class A fires but a good choice for electrical fires from a computer, TV, stereo or other electronic device. Always be sure that you have the right fire extinguisher in the right places to help protect you and your loved ones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I may add, you must also check your doors and windows if it has any damage. With that, you don't give intruders a chance to steal anything from your home. Here in our apartment (Simpsonville base), we make sure that doors have no damages. Luckily, I haven't heard any news of a crime on any apartments in Simpsonville South Carolina.