Certain television shows such as The Simpsons, Lost, and 24 have received the recognition that they deserve. The fact that they are enormously entertaining have made them as popular as they are today. However, there are dozens of television shows that are just as good (some can argue even better), but for one reason or another never receive the fan base of the aforementioned tv shows. Here is a list of the top 10 most underrated television shows (must have aired in 2000 or later to qualify).
1. Supernatural - Anybody who has seen an episode of the brilliant Supernatural can vouch for the number 1 spot that it has received. Any fan of the horror/suspense genre must see this show. Two brothers's mother was murdered in front of their father by something "supernatural". This caused the father to take an interest in the supernatural, raising the boys as warriors to fight the unknown. When the brothers grow up, the father disappears on a routine supernatural hunt. The brothers go on a search for their missing father. This highly addictive show is not only entertaining, scary, and intelligent, but the character development is practically unrivaled amongst other shows that exist.
2. Robot Chicken - The show is starting to receive the recognition that it deserves after the popularity of the Star Wars episode, but I still think it is highly underrated. This 10 minute claymation show has brief clips (lasting anywhere from 2 seconds to 2 minutes) that pretty much mock everything possible. 90% of the time, the jokes work and the briefness of it all is perfect for the ADD generation. Sometimes you won't get the jokes (when it refers to a TV show/movie you haven't seen), but when it's on you'll laugh until it hurts.
3. Dexter - Dexter remains an underrated show because of its placement on Showtime. Had it been aired on HBO, the popularity of this show would grow tremendously. Dexter has one of the most unique plots that currently exists on television. Dexter is an employee of the Miami Metropolitan Police Department's crime lab. When you see him interact with other coworkers, he seems like your every day typical guy. Dexter is far from it however. He is a vigilante. When he is on the crime scene for a brutal murder he decides to extract his own brand of justice by solving the crime himself and killing the murderers. Dexter is original, addictive, and entertaining. You really will never see a show quite like this.
4. Morel Orel - Morel Orel's 3 year run unfortunately just ended on December 18th . Morel Orel is the second best Adult Swim original show behind Robot Chicken. Orel is a well-behaved Christian child who seeks to better himself and his community on a daily basis by following the teachings of the church. The humor aspect of this show lies among Orel's interpretation of each sermon. Example: a teaching stated that you must be loyal to your friends. Orel is introduced to a new "friend" who happens to be a bad kid. He ends up beating up other kids and destroying property because he was simply following the church teachings. The dad is also a great part of this show. Hes an alcoholic who is battling his own inner demons. Very sad to see this show go.
5. Jericho - There's a reason why CBS received a substantial amount of people protesting the cancellation of this show. The show focuses on residents of Jericho, Kansas in the aftermath of nuclear attacks. This is a highly entertaining show that always leaves you wondering "whats going to happen next". Similar in what makes Lost so entertaining, except not as frustrating.
6. Oz - Due to the popularity of the Sopranos and Six Feet Under, Oz was highly overlooked show that was actually just as good as the Sopranos and better than Six Feet Under. Oz takes a look at prison life in the maximum security prison known as Oswald. Oz refers to a unit within Oswald that is known for it's "leniency" compared to the other units. This show doesn't hold back in it's depiction of prison life which provides an authentic feel to the show that is rarely seen. Everything about it feels so real and you actually sympathize with half of the prisoners while hating the other half. It's hard to imagine a show like Oz ever existing again.
7. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Any fan of improvisational comedy should check out It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Boasting Danny Devito among it's lead actors, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia provides a humorous look at an extremely dysfunctional family.
8. Arrested Development - Here comes the boos. Not because it doesn't deserve to be on the list, but because it's ranked "8" instead of "1" or "2". Arrested Development is often looked at as the funniest show that ever existed on television, or one of them. In my opinion, this show is slightly overrated in that sense, but extremely underrated in terms of how unpopular this show was when it was aired. You need to have a certain sense of humor to appreciate this show. Those who fit the target audience, will no doubt be one of the many who are still pissed off to this day that this show was canceled.
9. MXC - MXC can only be described as stupidally brilliant. This show is an actual Japanese game show that is dubbed in English (although not accurately). MXC highlights the ridiculousness of some Japanese shows in an extremely amusing manner.
10. Everybody Hates Chris - Critics love it, viewers love it...so what's the problem? Not sure, but for one reason or another this show never received the fanbase that it deserved. A very funny show nonetheless.