2008 certainly kept the media busy. Between Obama, the war in Iraq, and the recession, there never seemed to be a dull moment. Here is a list of the 10 most significant news stores of 2008 (from the perspective of a United States citizen):
10. Illinois Governor Blagojevch Arrested for Attempting to Sell/Trade Obama's Vacant Senate Seat - The biggest political scandal of the year that initially gave Obama quite a bit of bad PR soon after he was elected. Governor Blagojevch attempted to trade or sell Obama's vacant senate, but wound up arrested on conspiracy charges instead.
9. Bernie Mac and Isaac Hayes Die - One great comedian and an excellent musician / actor (South Park) unexpectedly died one day apart. Bernie Mac passed away from complications due to pneumonia while Isaac Hayes died from a recurrance of a previous stroke.
8. Russia Attacks Georgia - The Georgian/Russian conflict that eventually led to a brief war between the two countries.
7. Sarah Palin: First Woman to be Republican Candidate for Vice President - Although she was ridiculed constantly during her campaign run for Vice President, Sarah Palin achieved a big accomplishment in becoming the first female Vice President candidate for the conservative Republican Party.
6. Marriott Hotel Bombing: Islamabad - On September 20th a dump truck filled with explosives detonated in front of a Marriott Hotel in Islamabad, killing at least 54 and injuring at least 266.
5. Somali Pirates hijack Ships - Pirates??? Apparently so. Somali pirates invaded ships in order to steal money. The motive behind the crimes supposedly had to do with illegal fishing and dumping that was taking place in their waters.
4. Hilary Clinton: First Woman to Win a Presidential Primary - She might not have won, but there is no question that Hilary Clinton's race for Presidency has had a huge impact on women everywhere. She became the first woman to win a presidential primary.
3. Mumbai Terror Attack - The Mumbai attacks were a series of ten coordinated terrorist attacks that killed at least 173 people and injured 308 others.
2. United States in Recession - The economic recession that has left (and is still leaving) Americans in a crisis. Stocks are plummeting, unemployment rate is sky high, and numerous businesses are going bankrupt.
1. Barack Obama's Presidential Victory - In one of the most important elections in US history, America chose for the man promising change, Barack Obama. His victory is not only important because of the fact that he's the first African American President (although that is a big reason), but because of the situation that the United States has found themselves in at the time of the election